“All your children will be taught of the Lord, and great will be your children’s peace,” (Isaiah 54:13).

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Curriculum Review: Learning Language Arts Through Literature

by Jessica Peterman


In our home we’ve used Learning Language Arts Through Literature for 3 years.  I wasn’t entirely unhappy with the program and I know some really love it.

I’m switching things up next year for a few different reasons.   Here is a quick pro and con look at LLATL from what I observed from the 2nd –6th grade levels).

Pro:
  • Focus on good literature  (this is my FAVORITE part) and lots of exposure to excerpts of different books.
  • Built in practice for copywork and dictation for those who follow the Charlotte Mason Method or Classical Education.
  • Gentle, not overwhelming introduction of grammar concepts
  • Book studies on complete novels
  • Units for additional skills such as poetry writing, journaling, story writing, research that are spread out over a few weeks. 

Cons:  (for my family anyway :-)
  • Not much in the way of spelling or vocabulary.  There are some short lists taken from the dictation and vocab from the book studies.  But one of my children needed more challenge, while the other needed a more systematic approach to spelling, so I ended up supplementing a lot.
  • Not a lot of direct writing instruction—as in how to construct a sentence or paragraph.  I believe that the authors’ philosophy is that the students will learn this as they complete their copywork and dictation.  And I have to admit, they have picked up a lot that way.  But if you have a struggling writer, you might need a little extra in this area.
  • Grammar might err on the side of too gentle?  Again, I have one that needs challenged a bit more and one that needs more practice than what this program provides. 


Final thought… There are so many parts of the language arts puzzle, and every child has strengths and weaknesses.   I have no doubt that there are many children who would do great with this program all the way through.  There are so many good things about it; I hate to move on.  It served us well for three years, but kids change and grow and sometimes you’ve got to make a switch.  Who knows, it might end up being just what my youngest needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated to avoid spam and to keep this environment friendly. If you are a local homeschooling family interested in THESIS, please contact one of the administrators, via the "contact us" tab at the top of the site. If you wish to leave a homeschool-related comment, please do so. All spam and unrelated comments will be deleted immediately.

Thank you!