“All your children will be taught of the Lord, and great will be your children’s peace,” (Isaiah 54:13).

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Standing Firm and Letting Go

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary," (Galatians 6:9 NASB).

I read a Proverbs 31 devotional for today, which talked about doing things alone, or feeling like you are alone. This part caught my attention:

"I’ve sat in frustration rather than standing firm. I know what weary feels like when it seems my efforts aren’t making a significant difference. I’ve felt cornered rather than like a conqueror."
Sounds like it could be a homeschooling devotional, doesn't it? Have you ever felt this way? I have. I've felt frustrated, and I've given up on days when things just aren't doing according to my plan, especially when the kids are frustrated, too. On days like that, it feels like I'm not making the difference in their lives that I want to make through homeschooling. Then I tend to feel all alone and I assume that everyone else has it all together and they are doing fine.

The truth is, we all struggle. There will always be tough days, even after you've been doing this for many years. But, if we stand firm in our faith, we will see results because the beauty of sowing and reaping is that you reap a huge harvest compared to the volume of seeds that you plant. God promises.

Here's one thing that will help you tremendously--don't compare yourself to others! When you start thinking thoughts like, "I'm not good enough...I don't do enough...I'm not smart enough..." you have to ask yourself: compared to what? Or, better yet, compared to whom? If you are comparing yourself to other people, other homeschooling moms, you are destined to feel inadequate. Just like there are bound to be gaps because no one can cover EVERY subject thoroughly (even public schools), there is no one person who does it all thoroughly and perfectly. There are areas of your housekeeping that need to slide, areas of school that won't be addressed every year. And that's okay!

Today's tip for dealing with perfectionism -- make a chore list for your kids (those old enough to walk) and let them all help you with the house. Just let them do it! If your son or daughter does a hit and miss job of sweeping the carpets every day, that's better than one thorough vacuuming once a week! Plus, they are learning!

Pray and ask God to show you ways in which you can relax your control around the home. The tension of trying to do everything right all the time really does effect your sense of worth. You are not valued based on the amount you can check off your daily to-do list. You are valued because you are a precious child of God made in His image. Let it go!

1 comment:

  1. very timely blog. literally, i'm sitting here feeling all of those feelings of inadequacy, because my house is a mess, and I even wonder if I can do this homeschooling thing....and this blog pops in my email. God knew I needed to read this. I'm ready to start tomorrow anew and not have my hand so much in the housework as in the relationship with my family. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated to avoid spam and to keep this environment friendly. If you are a local homeschooling family interested in THESIS, please contact one of the administrators, via the "contact us" tab at the top of the site. If you wish to leave a homeschool-related comment, please do so. All spam and unrelated comments will be deleted immediately.

Thank you!